Kassim Afegbua, spokesman of Ibrahim Babaginda, says the former military president authorised the statement he issued earlier on Sunday.
Afegbua said this when he appeared on Sunday Politics, a programme on Channels Television.
“I have been doing this job for 13 years now. I have never issued a statement on behalf of General Babangida and you get a rebuttal,” he said.
“I extracted commitment from him (Babangida) before I issued that statement. The former military president authorised the statement I issued. I didn’t just put out the statement on my own.”
There was a controversy when another statement was released from IBB’s camp.
The statement personally signed by the former military ruler said the views in the previous one were those of Afegbua.
But Afegbua said Babangida called him after the second statement went out.
“He has called me to say that the statement still stands,” he said.